By Chef Ferrán Adriá of El Bulli - Roses, Spain
As demonstrated at Lo Mejor de la Gastronomía 2003
Yield: 10 Servings
1 ¼ pounds golden apples
¾ pound Granny Smith apples
8 ounces Apple Juice
½ teaspoon Alginato
1/8 teaspoon citric acid
2 cups water
½ teaspoon calcium chloride
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and very cold
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3/8 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
For Apple Juice:
Wash and core apples and cut into quarters. Purée apples and pour liquid into a tall and narrow container. Freeze about 30 minutes so that the impurities solidify and rise to the top. Remove from freezer and extract impurities with a skimmer. Strain juice and reserve.
For Apple Reduction:
Wash and core apples and cut into quarters. Purée apples and pour liquid into a tall and narrow container. Freeze about 30 minutes to solidify impurities, which will rise to the top. Remove from freezer and extract impurities with a skimmer. Strain juice and place over medium heat until reduced to caramel consistency.
For Apple Caviar:
While cold, mix 1/3 of juice with Alginato in blender until Alginato has dissolved. Heat mixture to 205°F, then remove from heat and stir in remaining juice. Add baking soda and stir to dissolve. Strain and freeze until service.
For Calcium Chloride:
Dissolve the calcium chloride in water and reserve.
Purée Granny Smith apples and freeze in a very tall and narrow container 5 minutes. Fill 4 syringes with apple solution. Release one drop at a time into Calcium Chloride and cook 1 minute in water. Strain and rinse caviar in cold water bath. Drain and add 2 teaspoons of Apple Caviar. For each serving, put ¾ ounce of caviar in a cylindrical mold, season caviar with a little Apple Reduction, cinnamon and 3 drops vinegar. Seal and serve.
Source: Star Chefs, magazine for culinary insiders
- St Elmos An escape from the dreary restaurant grind, St.... read more
- Mywaterfront a new alfresco restaurant and champagne bar which... read more
- Cro Magnon Open since January 2012, CRO MAGNON marks the... read more
- Amarres With a cozy interior and a beautiful terrace just... read more
- The Gathering (Pasteur St.; 961-156-6196) Powered by rooftop... read more
- Lux Lux Beirut Restaurant, is the new exotic addition... read more
- Secteur 75 A recent addition to the ever growing and sought... read more
- La Parrilla La Parrilla Enter La Parrilla, Lebanonâ€™s... read more